Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Bill Fox Introduction

Hi All,
I'm a writer and sometimes independent scholar who inquires how we transform land into landscape--or space into place, terrain into territory, depending on the context. I spend most of my travel time in extreme environments where human cognition fails in this process--for example, the Antarctic, the High Canadian Arctic, the Atacama Desert in Chile--and examining how we deploy cultural means to make up for shortcomings in our "natural" abilities. I spend most of my field time with artists and scientists looking at the evidence we leave behind, the art and architecture and narratives of such environments.

I'm also the Director of the new Center for Art + Environment at the Nevada Museum of Art in Reno. Our mission is: To be a global leader in supporting the practice, study, and awareness of creative interactions between people and their environments. We're currently building an archive and library of relevant materials, such as early materials by Michael Heizer and Walter De Maria, and have up our first exhibition in a small "CA+E Lab" space, the Trans-Alaska Pipeline show from the Center for Land Use Interpretation.

My most recent book is "Aereality: Essays on the World from Above," which appears in bookstores this month, and I'm currently working on a book about "The Art of the Anthropocene."

If you want a more complete description of my work, you can visit my website at www.wlfox.net.

I look forward to the upcoming conversation--talk with you soon.

Bill Fox

No comments: