Thursday, March 5, 2009

Greetings from New Mexico

Hi all,
We’ve enjoyed reading your introductions. Thanks from New Mexico!

Bill Gilbert here:
I am an artist and educator who has been working in recent years on blurring the boundaries between those two practices. In my research, I have followed a trail that has led me from ceramics to earth art to environmental art/performance/mapping. I am currently involved in a performative series based on the disjunction between our abstract conceptions of the environment and our physical experience of actual sites. These works are enacted on sites visited by the Land Arts of the American West program and translated to viewers using topo maps, gps devices, video and audio recordings.

On the educator side I have been pursuing the possibilities over the past twenty years for a pedagogical model based on a mobile studio. In pursuing this idea we have made stops along the way at Acoma Pueblo, Juan Mata Ortiz, Mexico and the Sierra Madre Mountains and Pastaza, Ecuador in the Amazon jungle. In 2000, I founded Land Arts of the American West at the University of New Mexico as a semester long studio arts program committed to providing students with direct physical engagement with the environmental and social aspects of place and
uninterrupted time to work.

Working in collaboration with professor emeritus Basia Irland, I have started a new Art & Ecology concentration at UNM. This spring we are conducting a national search to hire a new faculty member. I am currently team teaching an Art and Ecology seminar and an Art and Ecology studio practices course with Catherine Harris from our Landscape Architecture Department. These classes will both be participating in our generative conversations as we grapple with a cross disciplinary definition of ecological art as a particular subset of Art + Environment.
Adelante,
Bill

Catherine Harris here:
I am an artist and educator working on both sides of the art and design divide. My art practice uses the lines cultures draw on the land to frame boundaries and use. I trace virtual lines, property lines and waterlines with walks and objects referring to the histories of surveying – theodolites, Gunter’s chains and satellite hats. My production varies from large-scale installation to tiny video, with metal work in between. I began my art practice twenty years ago in photography, detoured by way of Fluxus assistant, garnered an environmental focus through masters in landscape architecture and earned an MFA from Stanford University in 2005.

As an educator, I most recently have been teaching environmental art and theory in the Landscape Architecture Department and Art and Ecology Seminar and Studio at the University of New Mexico. I have also taught Land Art at Deep Springs College and Landscape Architecture studios at UC Berkeley, with a brief thesis advisory role at CCA.

No comments: